Sunday, February 10, 2013

Lessons in the Father's Love

Carlyn and Wyatt


I had a blog ready to go about a week and a half ago, but someone sped up life and I didn’t get to it.  It will be up soon, but I don’t want to wait on this thought…

Last Thursday morning, I found out that I had officially become an aunt.  I already knew I was excited for Wyatt’s arrival and would have so many emotions surrounding his birth, but I had no way of knowing how much I would love him. 

As I arrived at the hospital, it was almost surreal to think that my little sister now had a little baby.  Carlyn took me into the nursery to see him, and I fought back tears.  There he was – this tiny little baby that God breathed life into.  I just wanted to sit and stare at him.  All I kept thinking was how much I wanted to love him and protect him and do anything I could to make him healthy and strong…and I’m not even his mom.  

I love children.  But I have never felt such a strong desire to keep anyone from harm.  I have never felt such a strong responsibility to love someone.  And he’s not even my child.

As I was driving home, God brought this verse to mind:

If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him! – Matthew 7.11

I am evil and my heart is corrupt, selfish, and broken.  And yet, all I want to do is love and protect this little baby that is not even my child.  God’s love is perfect.  I would not even have a glimpse of what love was without God giving me that ability.  And what I do know of love is less than a dim shadow of His true love.

Why would I ever doubt his love for me?  Why would I ever think He desires anything less that what is best for me? 

I have loved you with an everlasting love… - Jeremiah 31.3

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good,
            For his steadfast love endures forever. – Psalm 136.1

See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. – 1 John 3.1

No comments:

Post a Comment