Monday, May 10, 2010

...to Express Glory and Beauty.



Yesterday, I went with a friend to check out Artisphere in downtown Greenville. It was fun to walk around and check out all of the interesting and unique forms of art on display. From paintings to sculpture to photography, each tent was unique. They also had performing arts, music, and even culinary arts, though we didn't make it in time to see those.

I appreciate all kinds of art, even when it's not necessarily my style. I think there are some forms I appreciate mainly based on the fact that I can't create them myself. I really enjoy painting and drawing, but please don't ask me to pain a portrait of someone. It will, at best, be disappointing, and at worst, offensive. God just didn't gift me in that area.

He did gift others with painting, sculpting, singing, playing, dancing, and other forms of art. I was reading in Exodus this week about the design and creation of the tabernacle and everything that went along with it. In Exodus 31, God tells Moses that He specifically gifted Bezalel and Oholiab with abilities in crafts, design, and the use of gold, silver, bronze, and wood. I don't ever remember seeing "craftsmanship" on the list of spiritual gifts, but here God says that He specifically gifted them in these areas. So why did He give them these gifts?

In Exodus 28, as a part of instruction for making clothing for the priests, we read:

"Make tunics, sashes, and hats...to express glory and beauty." (Exodus 28.40, MSG)

God gave (and gives) gifts of art for the same reason He gave (and gives) all other gifts - to bring Himself glory.

Is it possible to create beautiful art without brining God glory? Of course. But it's like what we were talking about last night with the high school students. Our life is meant to be a life of continuous worship. As Jeremy put it, "Anything in your life that isn't sin has the potential to be an act of worship."

So if you have artistic ability - dancing, singing, painting, photography, etc - do it all unto the Lord (Colossians 3.23). And when you see, hear, or otherwise experience beautiful art, give glory to the Creator of all beauty, your Lord, Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment