Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Memories from My Grandfather

The local paper back home, in VA, did an interview with my grandfather and his memories of WWII. You can read it here.

Fred isn't my actual grandfather. He married my grandmother when I was about 11. But he's been my grandfather ever since then. He's a really interesting guy with so many stories and memories. Sometimes we hear them a few too many times, but they're never dull, that's for sure. One of my favorites (and I'm sure I won't do the story justice) is how he once lived in an apartment that was just 1 room - the bathroom didn't have any walls. So when someone had to go to the bathroom, everyone else had to leave the apartment. I'm sure Carlyn could come up with some more good ones. She really likes his favorite story from his principal days.

He also loves mind/thinking games. He has lots of little puzzles and games around the house and loves to teach or trick people with them. When I was probably 13 or 14 he taught me how to do cube roots of any number in my head. He asked me like a year ago if I could still do it, and I had to report that, unfortunately I hadn't kept that skill up (I blame all of the Chinese I had to learn).

I have a really interesting family. Maybe I should do little bios of them on here. It'd be entertaining. For now, though, we'll just leave this post about Fred.

4 comments:

  1. You forgot the story about Eileen and Ben Dover, he told us they were his fellow officer's children but now that I am older and wiser I am a little leary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Carlyn, I forgot about that one. I was talking about how when he was a junior high (I think) principal, all of the girls had the same hair style - long, straight, parted down the middle - so he couldn't tell them apart. He likes to tell this whenever I wear my hair down. And then I explain to him that I don't really have a choice because that's all my hair does.

    ReplyDelete