Thursday, August 5, 2010

Tension

I often quote people, movies, books, songs, etc. One reason is I just think it's fun (and I know at least one other person who thinks it's fun, too). Another reason, though, is that sometimes someone else just says something better/explains something better than I could. That is the case with the article I'm linking to in this blog.

I've been working in the "real world" for about a year and a half now, and it has created a tension inside me that I've had trouble explaining.

I enjoy what I do. I mean we all have bad/stressful/frustrating days, but I like what I do better than many other professions/jobs. I enjoy orthopaedics - figuring out what's making the body not work like it should and then fixing it. I love working with and helping people, and I enjoy doing that in all different capacities. So it's not that I hate my job or that it's a dead end job. But I still feel this tension.

I've had trouble verbalizing this tension, except being able to say, "I don't want to work for a corporation. I hate feeling like I'm working for a corporation because I don't know what I'm working for or if I even agree with the goal and direction of the corporation." Then, when I'd try to elaborate, I felt like my thoughts just kinda spilled out into a jumbled, confused pile. So when I came along this article, I was relieved. I was relieved that I wasn't alone in my feelings and that there were words to express them. I wonder how many people feel this same tension in their jobs on a daily basis...

Check out Tim Keller's thoughts: Ministry Movements

No comments:

Post a Comment