Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Hypotheticals

Donald Miller wrote a blog a couple weeks ago entitled, A Creator Doesn’t Entertain Hypotheticals. Miller’s blog was talking about not entertaining hypotheticals as a writer, but when I first read the blog title, I immediately thought about God.

God doesn’t deal in hypotheticals. He doesn’t need to. He is all-powerful. He creates reality and deals in reality. I need hypotheticals because I’m not all-powerful and I’m not in control. The only thing I can even partially control is my mind (though it easily gets out of control and crazy), so I try to control situations in my mind.

I create hypothetical situations because it makes me feel in control and prepared, but that is not reality. I create hypotheticals because I would rather put my faith in a completely made up situation and fake control than in the One who really has all control and power. I’d rather let my mind go crazy over a hypothetical situation than spend time communicating with the One who’s actually in control.

So I freak out and come to God with all of my “What if’s…?” and He doesn’t even dismiss them. Instead, He comforts me with His “But God’s…” If I would just spend time focusing on His power and talking with Him, not only would I be continually reminded of Truth, but I wouldn’t have time for all of those hypotheticals.

“But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ… “- Ephesians 2.4-5

“but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” – Romans 5.8

“My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” – Psalm 73.26

No comments:

Post a Comment