Monday, May 30, 2011

When Following Means Staying

But Ruth said, “Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God. – Ruth 1.16 (ESV)


This is a pretty famous verse in the book of Ruth, and even in the Bible as a whole. I know people who have had this read at their wedding. It’s even the basis for a popular song right now. It’s a pretty cool verse, when you think about it.


This is Ruth declaring her love and complete dedication not only to Naomi, but to Yahweh, the One True God. One thing that makes this cool is that Ruth has not been accepted into the nation of Israel, yet. They are currently still in Moab, or not far from Moab. She has never lived among Israelite people or like an Israelite. This is Ruth abandoning her own gods to follow the One True God before she knows how it will turn out.


And yet she follows.


The really amazing and challenging part of this verse to me, though, doesn’t get revealed until the last verse of chapter 2. Ruth has met Boaz, who we know she will eventually marry. They have had a conversation and shared a meal. He gave her a job. And that’s it. That’s all we’re told about their interaction for months. Ruth 2.23 says this:


So she kept close to the young women of Boaz, gleaning until the end of the barley and wheat harvests. And she lived with her mother-in-law.


So maybe she and Boaz talked often or he at least checked up on her…but maybe he didn’t. Maybe Ruth made wonderful friends with the women who were also working in the fields…but maybe she didn’t. All we’re told is that Ruth stayed with her mother-in-law and she worked. She didn’t return to her home or to her gods or to her old way of life.


But do you know what Ruth did?


She stayed where God blessed. I love that sentence. As I was listening to a sermon on Ruth chapter 2, the pastor used that sentence to describe this time in Ruth’s life. She stayed where God blessed. She committed to follow God and this is where God led her. He had not told her to leave, so she stayed. I wonder how many times she recalled her words to Naomi and to God:


“Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God.” – Ruth 1.16 (NIV)


As I think about this concept of staying where God blesses and serving where He calls me, that second part of Ruth’s pledge resonates in me.


I feel like my life is marked by change. Most recently, the changes have included geographic changes. I’ve come to expect and even look forward to change. Change feels good to me. I think it’s because of the possibilities that are born with change. There is always a chance things change for the better.


I have spent much of the past year seeking out change. I have looked to make a geographic change or a vocational change or a relational change. While some small things have changed, for the most part I feel like I’m still “here.” I don’t feel like God has let me make that big change I’ve been looking for.


He undoubtedly called me to this place, and is blessing me here. When I step back and look at my life, I can absolutely see that. The anticipation of change remains inside me, but until He calls me to something different, I need to learn to say, like Ruth:


“Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay.”

1 comment:

  1. Hang tight, sister! I am so excited to see what God has in store for your life!

    ReplyDelete