Sunday, May 15, 2011

Thankful - Community

And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. And awe came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles. And all who believed were together and had all things in common. And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved. – Acts 2.42-47


I love this passage. I love how the family of God is described. I love how their focus is outward, how they are concerned for everyone but self. I love that they spend time together, pray together, eat together, and sing together. I love that they willingly and joyfully meet needs.


I love that I have this kind of community.


The past couple weeks have been incredibly difficult. There is a lot going on in my life, in my job, and in my family. It has been stressful and chaotic. There is a part of me that would try to handle all of it myself; bear all of the weight myself. I am always tempted to just handle my own business so that I am not a burden on anyone. It’s very appealing to me to not burden anyone else.


But nowhere in the passage from Acts does it say, “…and whatever you do, don’t inconvenience or burden anyone else.” If no one ever expressed any need, the people in the early church would not have had the opportunity to sell their possessions and meet those needs. And if I never shared any needs, no one would have the opportunity to bless me.


It has been difficult, but over the past couple weeks, I have sent emails, made phone calls, and had conversations with numerous people – all of whom genuinely wanted to hear how I was doing. They truly wanted to hear what was going on. They wanted to pray for me and with me. They carried my burden with joy.


It is so humbling to ask for help, to express need, and I am really bad at it. I still refuse to ask for help many times that I need it. But when I am able to humble myself and ask, the blessing that comes is more than sufficient to cover the pride that I have lost.

2 comments:

  1. Love that you set such a great example of being willing to engage in community. Still praying for you.
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Joanna. Looking forward to catching up with you soon.

    ReplyDelete