Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Modesty - Loving Well


I was kind of a tomboy growing up.  I played sports and most of my friends were guys.  I was well versed in their lingo and jokes.  I could fit in with guys most of the time.  I thought I understood them pretty well.  And as I grew out of the tomboy stage, and started entering into the dating stage, I figured having guy friends would help me.  I figured being around guys more meant that I would understand them better.

I was wrong.  As similar as men and women are in many ways, there are so many ways in which we are different.  I was arrogant to think I understood all of that.  As I have grown and matured in my understanding Biblical manhood and womanhood, I have been privileged to also learn more about the way men are wired.  Though I still don’t completely understand all of it, my perspective has definitely changed.

One of the things I have learned is how men and women are affected differently by visual images, particularly sexual images.  While men and women both can be affected by these images, there is a particular battle that most men face in regards to this issue that is for the most part specific to their gender.  I can’t totally relate, but it’s important for me to be aware of and sensitive to this battle. 

It is important because if I am not aware and sensitive to the struggles of my brothers, I cannot love well as Christ has called me to.

…being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. – Philippians 2.2-4

But take care that this right of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak. For if anyone sees you who have knowledge eating in an idol’s temple, will he not be encouraged, if his conscience is weak, to eat food offered to idols? And so by your knowledge this weak person is destroyed, the brother for whom Christ died. Thus, sinning against your brothers and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ. Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble. – 1 Corinthians 8.9-13

So the way I dress is not a matter of my freedom or my rights.  When I choose to follow Christ, I lay down all rights to myself – that includes my right to wear anything I want.  Even if my clothing had nothing to do with my approval or identity (which is not the case), I am still called to a higher standard out of love and respect for my brothers and for Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment