Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Wrong Step


Many times the reason I’m afraid to take the next step is that I’m worried it will be the wrong step.

I hate being wrong.  I hate the feeling that comes with being wrong – feeling ignorant, incapable, naïve.  It hurts my delicate pride.

Lately, as I have been searching for the next step, I feel like God is saying, “Even if you take a wrong step, which you will, you still need to take a step.”  He has been challenging me to move, to risk, to step.  He knows that I’m probably going to move in the wrong direction at some point.  And He knows I need to.

Here’s why…I’m typically very capable and in control.  That’s not me bragging or anything.  That’s just a reality of life for most of us.  I can easily rely on myself and my own strength to get things done.  I need to learn that my strength is not sufficient.  True strength is only found in my weakness.

“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” – 2 Corinthians 12.9

I need to learn that my plans are worthless without God directing. 

The heart of man plans his way,
but the LORD establishes his steps. – Proverbs 16.9

I believe God has to teach me these lessons now because I must be able to rely totally on Him in order to go where He is taking me.  I’m not sure where I’m headed but I know it will require faith.

And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him. – Hebrews 11.6

Ultimately, I need to be humbled to realize that I am not perfect.  I am not God.  I am not in control.  But I have access to and community with God, the controller of the universe who tells the sun to shine and the waves to crash.  He can handle the tiny steps and missteps of my life.

1 comment:

  1. Once again, we see eye to eye. I think God continually puts me in situations that make me be confronted with my own inadequacy, so that I realize that I need to trust in Him. Too often, I trust in my own competency, instead of Christ's sufficiency.

    ReplyDelete