Sunday, January 2, 2011

Goals 2011

I talked some yesterday about how my thought process has changed over the last several years regarding goals. I’m reading and working through the book, 48 Days to the Work You Love (Dan Miller). He makes several good points about goals.

  • - “…expectations of your future do, in fact, tend to create your future.”
  • - “People often end up where they expect to end up.”
  • - “…specific, worthwhile expectations…make your life more meaningful.”
  • - “Start doing something that you’ve put off because of the risk of failure.”
  • - “It is critical to define your own priorities. If you simply respond to circumstances, any obstacle will send you in a new direction.”

Miller also talks about making deposits in all areas of life – spiritual, personal development, physical, family, social, financial, and career. So here are some of the goals I have set for this year.

  • - Have one full Sabbath day a month.
  • - Read 25 books, at least 5 of them being biographies.
  • - Finish writing a Bible study I started last year.
  • - Participate in an athletic competition – I’m thinking the Mud Run, but we’ll see. (It won’t be another half marathon. Hasn’t been long enough since the last one to forget the pain and horror.)
  • - Take at least 2 trips to VA to visit family.
  • - Make time for coffee/dinner/something with one friend a week.
  • - Save a certain amount of money and get more involved in my investments. (At least get my long-term emergency fund complete.)
  • - Explore career opportunities that incorporate my skills/abilities, personality traits, and dreams/aspirations.

So there you go. I have a few more that I am still developing, but that’s what I’ve got for now. What about you? What are your goals for 2011?

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, I have the athletic competition goal ... and the finish writing Bible study one too!

    ReplyDelete